- This event has passed.
Leading a Successful Charity – One Day Workshop For Charity Leaders & Trustees
1000-1600 on Wednesday 9 May 2018
Free to all delegates
YMCA Tower House, Tonbridge, Kent
- This highly interactive and informative one day workshop will be held in Tonbridge on Wednesday 28th March 2018.
- Ideal for aspiring, new and experienced trustees and charity leaders.
- By using case studies and group work, this practical course will equip you with a clear understanding of sound governance and the fundamentals of running a successful charity.
- You will have the opportunity to share your experience and explore approaches with other charity leaders and trustees and learn from the experienced course leader.
- This workshop can also be run in house for the whole board of trustees or leadership team.
The Workshop will cover the following areas.
1 – Governance Essentials
Covers the essential knowledge required to put in place good charity governance.
By the end of this section you will understand the legal & regulatory framework for charities, trustee duties and liabilities, and how to deal with governance issues and conflicts.
2 – Setting Vision and Strategy
By using real life examples combined with robust theory this part of the workshop will equip you with the skills and knowledge to carry out and advise on the strategic responsibilities of a Charity Board.
By the end of this section you will understand how to carry out the four key tasks of a Board and provide strategic leadership to your charity.
3 – Keeping Safe and Delivering Impact
Provides the essential knowledge for trustees to understand how a charity is performing, identify if it is ready to deal with events – expected and unexpected – and if it is achieving its charitable purpose.
By the end of this section you will understand how to identify and mitigate top risks, measure performance and impact.
4 – Finance for Non Financial Trustees
Takes non financial trustees and charity leaders through the key aspects of charity finances. By using real examples of charity financial reports participants will learn the key aspects of income, expenditure, balance sheet and cash flow.
By the end of this section you will understand the main elements of charity finance, know about a trustee’s financial responsibilities and be able to read and scrutinise charity accounts.
The workshop will be led by Norman Blissett, Director of Gallanach.
Norman has many years experience of leading and advising charity boards and will use real case examples to bring to life the challenges and enjoyment of being a charity trustee. He is currently chair of Cyclopark, a trustee at Family Holiday Association, was previously chair of Bridge Mental Health and Director of Systems and Impact at Family Action. Norman is a Chartered Director, Fellow of the IoD and Fellow of the CIPD.
Cost of event: Free